Product Review: Bose 161 Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-balanced versatile speakers even after 10+ years!


I use a pair of black 161's for left and right rear surround speakers in my home-theater set-up and have used them continuously for over 10 years. These speakers are very linear above and do drop off rapidly below about 80Hz. Bass frequencies are nominal but I would not recommend these without at least a 2.1 or included in 5.1 system. I really like the design and appreciate about that these speakers is the "articulated array" design, which gives broad, even coverage without the high-frequency beaming that often occurs in more conventional speakers. The tone is a bit airy, I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s the crisp sounding set of speakers I’ve owned but they’re fine for my use.


The speakers are magnetically shielded speakers which allows them to be close to your TV without interfering with the picture quality. The brackets are a bit limited in motion as the speaker will only rotate up and down if mounted horizontally and would only rotate side to side if mounted vertically. I’ve never had an issue but understand some individuals may prefer more flexible rotation with the mounting options. Because of the longevity these are five stars, the price point has never changed which can tell you something about the quality in manufacturing, overall extremely pleased with my purchase even after all this time.