Product Review: KT TAPE PRO Kinesiology Tape

2.0 out of 5 starsDeceptive.

Nah uh girl.

As of the date of this review, the makers of KT Tape have agreed to pay $1.75 million to resolve allegations that its kinesiology tape was falsely advertised as being able to prevent injuries and provide pain relief.  The tape has been marketed as “clinically proven for all injuries” which is false.  There is a certain level of common sense that should be applied as athletic tape will not keep you pain free, it’s only tape after all.

My experience with the tape was treatment for golfer’s elbow, which is a condition that causes pain where the tendons of your forearm muscles attach to the bony bump on the inside of your elbow and the pain spreads into my forearm and wrist.  It is similar to tennis elbow which occurs on the outside of your elbow, I play neither sport but attribute this to years of computer work.

I used this tape as part of my physical therapy and the tape only served to provide a limited level of support, I actually had to increase the number of layers in order to see any benefit. I did not see any major difference in the pain and swelling as without tape. As with other reviewers I did not have much success with the tape staying on effectively even after regular physical exercise not related to rehab.  I have no idea has Misty May and Kerri Walsh kept this tape on during volleyball tournaments, I followed the instructions and used heat and friction to ‘warm up’ the adhesive first but did not have any real success.  I also read about athletes using pre-tape spray applied first to the skin to help keep the tape on but I did not go this far with my usage. Overall I was disappointed with the product.

Amazon Product Link: KT TAPE PRO Kinesiology Tape